Environmental Effects of Chennai – Ennore Oil Spill Media Coverage of
AbstractAs the present research was related to the appraisal of the media coverage of environmental effects of oil spill, the enumeration of coverage, evaluation of the distribution of coverage and assessment of the presentation pattern in the overall coverage of environmental effects of oil spill in a leading newspaper was individually carried out. As an initial part of research work, the coverage was enumerated and it was observed that around 20% of the coverage in the oil spill disaster was exclusively related to environmental effects of oil spill. It was also observed that around 32% of the illustrations in connection with oil spill disaster were exclusively related to environmental effects of oil spill. As a central part of research work, the distribution of coverage was evaluated and it was perceived that disaster, oil spill due to disaster, cleanup process taken by Government authorities, cleanup process taken by volunteers, disposal of sludge and affected fish catch mainly contributed to the overall coverage in the news items of the newspaper. It was also perceived that damaging effects on environmental components, detrimental effects on human beings and destructive effects on all the remaining living species mainly contributed to the overall coverage in the special articles and editorials of the newspaper. As a final part of research work, the presentation pattern in the overall coverage of environmental effects of oil spill was assessed and it was recognized that the presentation of news items was with simple, suitable and self-explanatory words. It was also recognized that the way of presentation in special articles and editorials was mostly uncomplicated, informative and educative with special emphasis on the protection of all integral components of environment. It could be concluded that the overall coverage of disasters in media with special emphasis on environmental protection would be mandatory so as to have the sustainable development of the society.
2. Dinithi Jayasekara A.H. (2015). Disaster reporting in print media, International Journal of Scientific research and innovative technology, 2(9):1-5.
3. Iqbal M.J. Ali F.M. Khursheed M.B. Saleem S. (2014). Analysis of role of media in disaster reporting in Pakistan, European Scientific Journal, 1(2014):570-575.
4. Lubna Zaheer. (2016). Media coverage of natural disasters in Pakistan: The case of Earthquake (2005), Flood (2010) and Famine (2014), Journal of Research Society of Pakistan, 53(1): 75-93
5. Shylaja T. (2018). Media coverage of the impacts of Vardah Cyclone in Tamil Nadu, International Journal of Innovative Knowledge Concepts, 6(2):106-108
6. Shylaja T. (2018). Media coverage of dengue outbreak in Tamil Nadu, Human Rights International Journal, 6(1):135-138
7. Sudharshini S, Shruthee S.G, Amaran M. (2017). Oil spill in Chennai : Fact finding report on health impacts of oil spill on cleanup workers, fisherfolk and residents in Ennore, Healthy Energy Initiative Publications, Chennai, India.
Submission of an article implies that the work described has not been published previously (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture or academic thesis), that it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere, that its publication is approved by all authors and tacitly or explicitly by the responsible authorities where the work was carried out, and that, if accepted, will not be published elsewhere in the same form, in English or in any other language, without the written consent of the Publisher. The Editors reserve the right to edit or otherwise alter all contributions, but authors will receive proofs for approval before publication.
Copyrights for articles published in International Journal of Innovative Knowledge Concepts are retained by the authors, with first publication rights granted to the journal. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.