Post Disaster Coverage of Cyclone Ockhi In a Leading Tamil-language Newspaper
The present research is related to the assessment of the post disaster coverage of cyclone Ockhi in a leading Tamil-language newspaper and so exploration on the post disaster coverage, estimation of the distribution of the post disaster coverage and evaluation of the contributory parameters to the post disaster coverage of cyclone Ockhi related information was independently carried out. The exploration on the coverage of post disaster related news revealed that there was 10.6% of coverage as an average on daily basis in the news paper. It also revealed that 25.2% of the news was well supported by suitable illustrations. The estimation of the distribution of coverage revealed that the post disaster related news was inappropriately distributed in news items, special articles, editorials and other integral components of newspaper. It also revealed that the placement of 20% of post disaster related information was in front pages and the remaining 80% was in middle and last pages so as to have better prominence to the readers. The evaluation of contributory factors to coverage revealed that loss of materials, loss of fishermen, search of fishermen, agitation and delay in provision of compensation mainly contributed to the overall coverage in the news items of the newspaper. It also revealed that the suggestions, advices, do’s and dont’s, need for improvement in disaster management, need for speed up the process of reconstruction and need for enhancement in compensation mainly contributed to the overall coverage in the special articles and editorials of the newspaper. It could be concluded that the balanced prominence between components of impacts and components of reconstruction would be mandatory for the effective execution of the responsibility of media in post disaster coverage.
2. Antony S. Rausch. (2013). The regional newspaper in post disaster coverage: Trends and frames of Great East Japan disaster in 2011, Keio communication Review 35(2013): 35-50.
3. Miles Brian and Mores Stephanie. (2007). The role of news media in natural disaster risk and recovery, Ecological Economics 63(2007): 365-373.
4. White, C. (2009). Examining a crisis communication void: The role of context to mitigate issues, Journal of Communication Management, 13(2): 176-190.
5. Ahlam Mohammad Alharbi. (2014). Risk Communication discourse: A content analysis of some Australian media coverage of cyclones in Queensland, Australia in 2011, International Journal of Human Sciences, 11(1): 1019-1036.
6. Shylaja, T. (2018). Media coverage of the impacts of Vardah Cyclone in Tamil Nadu, International Journal of Innovative Knowledge Concepts, 6(2):106-108.
7. Lubna Zaheer. (2016). Media coverage of natural disasters in Pakistan: The case of Earthquake (2005), Flood (2010) and Famine (2014), Journal of Research Society of Pakistan, 53(1): 75-93
8. Jamilah Ahmad & Habibah Latech. (2016). Media and environment in Malaysia : An analysis on news coverage of landslide disaster in Kula Lumpur, Malaysian Journal of Communication, 32(2):525-534
9. Iqbal, M.J., Ali, F.M., Khursheed, M.B., & Saleem, S. (2014). Analysis of role of media in disaster reporting in Pakistan, European Scientific Journal, 1 (2014), 570-575
10. Muhammad Jawed Iqbal, Fatima Masoo Ali, Muhammad Bilal Khursheed & Sadaf Saleem. (2014). Analysis of role of media in disaster reporting in Pakistan, European Scientific Journal, 1:570-575
Submission of an article implies that the work described has not been published previously (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture or academic thesis), that it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere, that its publication is approved by all authors and tacitly or explicitly by the responsible authorities where the work was carried out, and that, if accepted, will not be published elsewhere in the same form, in English or in any other language, without the written consent of the Publisher. The Editors reserve the right to edit or otherwise alter all contributions, but authors will receive proofs for approval before publication.
Copyrights for articles published in International Journal of Innovative Knowledge Concepts are retained by the authors, with first publication rights granted to the journal. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.