Effect of three dosage forms of Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) on learning and memory: An Experimental study
In Ayurved, Guduchi (Tinospora cordifolia) is advocated as Medhya Rasayan (Cognitive enhancer). It is emphasized to use fresh form of swaras of Guduchi (Extracted juice) to attain memory enhancing effect on human cognition. However Guduchi swaras(GS), has less shelf life and extreme bitter taste hence to overcome this lacunae Guduchi Kalpa (GK) which sugar coated granule form and Guduchi ghrita (GG) i.e. medicated ghee from was prepared. By applying Ayurvedic standard protocols GS, GK and GG was formulated and Method of preparation were developed and validated through physicochemical analysis. To assess the effect of these formulations Diazepam induced amnesia in Elevated plus maze (EPM) and spatial learning in Radial arm maze (RAM) animal models were used . For the assessment of anti amnesic activity , test drugs at the dose of GS 20ml/70kg, GK 40gm/70 kg and GG 40gm/70kg were administered orally for 14 consecutive days. In EPM test, antiamnesic activity of three formulations of Guduchi is confirmed as decrease in transfer latency (TL) of animals and Significant reversal of amnesia was noted in GK when compared against Induction control group. While in RAM test, GS and GK exhibited significant action on increase percentage of correct choices and reduction in working and reference memory errors in comparison to GG at same dose level . Hence the present study has created an evidence of anti amnesic and nootropic activity of GS and GK in Diazepam induced amnesia and Spatial learning in radial arm maze animal models.
2. Nanal P. 2000: Sarth Bhavprakash : gajanna book depot , Pune , Purva khanda, verse 30
3. Parashara R., Sharangdhar samhita, 1984. , 3rd Ed.march:Nagpur, shree vaidyanath Ayurveda bhavan Ltd.,Madhyam khanda : Cha.1 verse 2 .
4. Parashara R., Sharangdhar samhita, 1984. , 3rd Ed.march:Nagpur, shree vaidyanath Ayurveda bhavan Ltd.,Madhyam khanda : Cha.9 verse 11 .
5. Vogel G.H. 1998 Ed. 2nd – Verlag New York, “Drug Discovery and Evaluation Pharmalogical Assays”, F 3.3.3.: p.623.
6. Venkatramaniah C. et. al.2016: Neuroprotective role of acorus calamus and it’s active principle beta asarone in retaining the memory of rats using 8 arm radial maze: Department of Anatomy, Tagore Medical College, Chennai, Tamilnadu, India.
7. Joshi Y.(2011) ,.Charak samhita, Sutra sthan,, pune: vaidyamitra prakashan, Chapter 1: verse 26
8. Hasselbalch S. Et.al. 2005 : Blood-brain barrier permeability of glucose and ketone bodies during short-term starvation in humans; Journal of health sciences
Submission of an article implies that the work described has not been published previously (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture or academic thesis), that it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere, that its publication is approved by all authors and tacitly or explicitly by the responsible authorities where the work was carried out, and that, if accepted, will not be published elsewhere in the same form, in English or in any other language, without the written consent of the Publisher. The Editors reserve the right to edit or otherwise alter all contributions, but authors will receive proofs for approval before publication.
Copyrights for articles published in International Journal of Innovative Knowledge Concepts are retained by the authors, with first publication rights granted to the journal. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.