Effect of customized hand rehabilitation tool to improve functional outcome of hand in subjects with hand injuries.
Objective: To determine the effect of customized hand rehabilitation tool to improve functional outcome of hand in subjects with hand injuries.
Materials and Methods: 10 post operative hand injury subjects were included in this study as per inclusion and exclusion criteria. The subjects were treated with paraffin wax bath, Maitland Mobilization and customized hand rehabilitation tool for 4 days per week for 6 weeks. The outcomes measures were goniometry(ROM), Manual muscle testing(MUSCLE STRENGTH) and Michigan hand outcome questionnaire (FUNCTIONAL OUTCOME).
Result: The statistical analysis showed extremely significant improvement in range of motion, muscle strength and functional outcomes with p value <0.0001.
Conclusion: The use of customized hand rehabilitation tool showed improvement in functional outcome of hand in subjects with hand injuries.
2. Trybus M, Lorkowski J, Brongel K, et al. Causes and consequences of hand injuries. Am J Surg; 2006; 192:52-7.
3. Mock C, Quansah R, Kobusingye O, etal.Trauma care in Africa, the way forward. African J Truma; 2004; 2:53-8.
4. RosbergHE,Dahlin LB, Epidemiology of hand injuries in the middlesized city in southern Sweden: a retrospective comparision of 1989 and 1997.Scand J PlastReconnstrSurg ;2004;38347-55.
5. SaxenaP,CutlerL,Feldberg L. Assessment of the severity of hand injuries using “Hand Injury Severity Score” and its correlation with functional outcome.Injury 2004;35:511-6.
6. Ahmed E, Chaka T. Prospective study of patients with hand injuries: TikurAnbessa University Teaching Hospital, Addis Abba. Etbiop Med J: 2006; 44:175-81.
7. Wong JMW. Management of stiff hand: an occupational therapy perspective. Hand Surgery.2002; 7(2):261-269.
8. Paul Zavala :A dowel exercise tool to improve finger range of motion: Journal of Hand Therapy ;2014.Vol 27,No 1
9. Kisner.C.Colby: Therapeutic exercise: 6th edition.
10. Jagmohan Singh: Textbook of Electrotherapy: 2nd edition; pg 237.
11. Gajdosik R.L. and Bohannon R .W: Clinical Measurement of Range of Motion. Review of Goniometry Emphasizing Reliability and Validity.
12. Kendall F.P., McCreary K.E., Provance P.G., Rodgers M.M., and Ronani W.A.: Muscles Testing and Function with Posture and Pain: 4th edition.
13. Chung KC, Pillsburg MS, Walter MR, et al: Reliability and Validity testing of the Michigan hand outcomes questionnaire: The journal of hand surgery.
14. Hannafin J, Dicarlo E, Wickiewicz T, Warren R, Adhesive capsulitis: capsular fibroplasias of the Glenohumeral joint. J shoulder Elbow Surg 1994; 3(S):5.
15. Welch V,Brosseau L, Casimiro L, Judd M, Shea B, Tugwell P, et al. Thermotherapy for treating rheumatoid arthritis. Cochrane Database SystRev.2002 ;( 2):CD002826.
16. Harris R, Millard J.Parrafin wax baths in the treatment of rheumatoid arthritis: Annals of the rheumatic Diseases.1955;14(3)278-283.
Submission of an article implies that the work described has not been published previously (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture or academic thesis), that it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere, that its publication is approved by all authors and tacitly or explicitly by the responsible authorities where the work was carried out, and that, if accepted, will not be published elsewhere in the same form, in English or in any other language, without the written consent of the Publisher. The Editors reserve the right to edit or otherwise alter all contributions, but authors will receive proofs for approval before publication.
Copyrights for articles published in International Journal of Innovative Knowledge Concepts are retained by the authors, with first publication rights granted to the journal. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.