Photo-stabilization of Polyolefins under Accelerated Weathering
Background: The photodegradation and stabilization of polyolefins (PP, PE, EPT 30U, EPT 30R) films by addition of two different stabilizers (Chimassorb 944 and Irgafos 168) with different weight percent (0.1wt%, 0.2wt% and 0.5wt%) was investigated.
Objective: The main objective of this study was stabilization of polyolefins films.
Methods: In the present study, polymer composites were prepared by melt mixing method. The polymer composite films were studied under the polychromatic irradiation (λ ≥ 290nm) at 60℃ for different time intervals.
Results: The resulting photodegradation of polymer films was measured by Fourier-transform infrared spectroscopy (FTIR), thermogravimetric analysis and optical microscopy. The increase of functional groups (carbonyl and hydroxyl) during photo-oxidation was evaluated by FTIR spectroscopy. Thermal decomposition kinetics of E-P copolymers was also studied and compared with polypropylene. The changes in surface morphology of polymer composite films were investigated by optical microscopy.
Conclusion: It was evident from the study that the rate of photodegradation was decreased in all the stabilized polymer samples. The Chimassorb 944 showed excellent stabilization in polyethylene film as compared to the rest.
2) Al-Malaika, S., and Goonetilleka. (1991). MRJ, Scott G Migration of 4-substituted 2-hydroxy benzophenones in low density polyethylene: Part I - Diffusion characteristics. Polym Degrad Stab, 32, 231–247.
3) Andrady, A.L., Hamid, H.S., and Torikai, A. (2007): Effects of stratospheric ozone depletion and climate change on materials damage. Photochem. Photobiol. Sci., 6, 311–318.
4) Billingham, N., (1990). In: Pospisil J, Klemchuk PP (eds) Oxidation Inhibition in Organic Materials, chap 6:2. CRC Press, Boca Raton,
5) Calvert, P. D., and Billingham, N. C.( 1979) J. Appl. Polym. Sci., 24, 357.
6) Commereuc, S., Lajoie, P., Verney, V., and Lactose, J. (2003). A new ESR study of hindered amine stabilisers (HAS) and their oxidation products. Polymer International, 52, 576–580.
7) Doyle, C. D. (1961). Estiating thermal stability of experimental polymers by empirical thermogravimetric analysis. Anal. Chem., 33: 77
8) Gan, S. M., and Burfield, D. R. (1985) Differential scanning calorimetry studies of ethylene-propylene copolymers. Macromol. 18: 2684.
9) Grassie, N., and Scott, G. (1985). ‘‘Antioxidants and Stabilizers’’, in: Polymer Degradation and Stabilization, Cambridge University Press, Cambridge, 119–169.
10) Gugumus, F., (1990). ‘‘Plastic AdditivesHandbook’’, R. Gachter& H. Muller Publisher, Munich, Vienna, New York, 231.
11) Kumar, A., Commereuc, S., Verney, V., Lajoie, P., and Lacoste, J. (2004). A New Approach to the Evaluation of Stabilizer Efficiency Under Photo-Ageing. Macromolecular Materials and Engineering, 289, 387–392.
12) Luston, J., (1980). in: ‘‘Developments in Polymer Stabilization’’, G. Scott, Ed., Appl. Sci. Publ., London, 139; [9b] Billingham, N. C., and Calvert, P. D. (1980). in: ‘‘Developments in Polymer Stabilization’’, G. Scott, Ed., Appl. Sci. Publ. London, 185.
13) Madorsky, S. L., and Straus, S. (1954). Thermal degradation of polymers as a function of molecular structure. J. Res. Natl. Bur Stand., 53: 361.
14) Pandey, J. K., and Singh, R. P. (2001). UV-Irradiated Biodegradability of Ethylene-Propylene Copolymers, LDPE, and I-PP in Composting and Culture Environments. Biomacromolecules, 2: 880-885.
15) Pawar, R., Mahadik, S., Khanvilkar, D., and Singh, R. P. (2018). Photodegradation and stabilization of polypropylene, polyethylene and their copolymers under accelerated weathering. International journal of current advanced research, Volume 7; Issue 11(C), 16329-16333.
16) Reich, L., (1965). Kinetic parameters in polypropylene degradation from DTA traces.
17) Rosu, D., and Visakh, P. M. (eds.). (2016). Factors Influencing the Photochemical Behavior of Multicomponent Polymeric Materials. Marioara Nechifor. Springer International Publishing Switzerland, 26.
18) Ruberto, A., (2010). Polymer and Additives used in Fabrication of disposable Bioprocess Equipment. Michael Bioprocess International.
19) Singh, R. P., Mani, R., Sivaram, S., Lactose, J., and Vaillant, D. (1993). Photoinitiated Oxidation of Heterophasic Ethylene-Propylene Copolymers. I. Comparisonof Oxidation Products. Journal of Applied Polymer Science, Vol.50, 1871-1881.
Submission of an article implies that the work described has not been published previously (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture or academic thesis), that it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere, that its publication is approved by all authors and tacitly or explicitly by the responsible authorities where the work was carried out, and that, if accepted, will not be published elsewhere in the same form, in English or in any other language, without the written consent of the Publisher. The Editors reserve the right to edit or otherwise alter all contributions, but authors will receive proofs for approval before publication.
Copyrights for articles published in International Journal of Innovative Knowledge Concepts are retained by the authors, with first publication rights granted to the journal. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.