Historical Significance of St. Angelo’s Fort as a Hub of Military and Commercial Function in Colonial Kannur

  • Shalima M.C Research Scholar, Kerala Council for Historical Research (KCHR) Fellow, Department of History, Kannur University, Kannur ,Kerala
Keywords: St. Angelo’s fort, defence, Arakkal, Military, trade, Malabar.

Abstract

St.Angelo’s fort has played a significant role in trade and defence.  The fort, which is situated on the bank of the Arabian sea, was built by the Portuguese in 1505.  The Dutch captured it in 1663 and sold it to the Arakkal Royal family in 1772.  In 1790 the British conquered it and transformed it into one of the major military stations on the Malabar coast. At present it is being   maintained and protected by the Archaeological Survey of India. This paper mainly highlights the historical importance of St. Angelo’s fort and its commercial and military functions in the colonial context.

Fatal error: Call to a member function getCount() on a non-object in /home/ijikc/public_html/cache/t_compile/97712944e788eeedbf71e2a9b307b63eaf11bf48^%%17^178^1786CABF%%article_details.tpl.php on line 164