Fishermen Agitation (1984-1985) In Kerala
The article examines the Origins and development of Fishermen Agitation in Kerala and its results. It describes the Nuns, Priests and many Fishermen Federations played a prominent role in the agitation as organizes, demonstrators and hunger strikers. The congress-led coalition Ministry during the monsoon session of 1984, was paralyzed by the fish worker’s agitation in Kerala. The Catholic Fish workers in Kerala coast had traditionally been having strong ties with the Church. A Priest in the Church naturally performs a multidimensional role in religious, social, economic and political affairs. Hence the Catholic Church playing an important role in the daily life of the fish workers and to fetched them into the political and social life of Kerala for years. The Kerala coast witnessed a sea change in the fishing industry by the introduction of the Into- Norwegian Project in 1953, ensuing in a social revolution in the coastal areas in the following years. The new influxes had been using trawlers and purse-seine nets, close to the coast demolishing the very eco-system of the sea, facing a critical problem of dislodgment from their traditional occupations because of the capitalist’s intrusion in the fishing sector. The origin of 1984 agitation of fish workers can be traced back to 1980, demanding prohibition of trawling during monsoon season and earning their rights. It concludes the ban on trawling widened the hostility of the traditional fish workers and boat-owners. But now the contention of both sections have under gone changes due to the joint stakes in deep-sea fishing.
2. Aerthayil Mathew, Keralathile Matsya Thozhilai Prasthanam(Mal.) Kottayam,2001,p.48
3. Albaris.J, History of the Latin Catholics Fishermen in Travancore, Trivandrum, 1994, pp.9-10.
4. Annual Report of Trivandrum Social Service Society, Trivandrum, 1975.ADT.
5. Directory 2002, Non-Governmental Organizations in Kerala, Kallamasery,p.77.
6. Economic and Political Weekly, Vol.XVII, No.25, June 19,1984.
7. Ganesh K.N, Keralathinte Innelekal ,(Mal),Department of Cultural Publications, Government of Kerala,Trivandrum,1997,p.281.
8. Houtart Francois and Nalini Nayak, Kerala Fishermen-Culture and Social Organization, Belgium, 1988, p.67.
9. Kaleeckal Jose, Oru Samarakadh, (mal,), KSMFT Publication, Trivandrum,1988,p.11.
10. Kerala Fisheries Overview: Department of Fisheries, Trivandrum,1987.
11. Kerala Legislative Assembly Proceedings (KLAP), Vol.LXI, NO.1, June 18, 1984, p.18.
12. Kurien.J and T.R.T.Achari, Fisheries Development policies and the Fishermen’s Struggle in Kerala, Social Action, Trivandrum,1988,p.34.
13. Martin Arne Klausen, Kerala Fishermen and the Indo-Norwegian Pilot Project, London, 1968, p.72.
14. Mateer Samuel, Native life in Travancore, London, 1883, p.252.
15. Mathew J. George, Anubhavangal Adiyozhukkukal (Experiences and Undercurrent)(Mal,) Kottayam, Ideal Books, 1985, p.37.
16. Memorandum submitted to the Chief Minister by the Kerala Latin catholic association on august 20, 1984, File No. 12, ADT.
17. Visalakshy N.R, Arayanmar, Kerala Charithram,Vol.I, Eranakulam,1973,p.992.
Submission of an article implies that the work described has not been published previously (except in the form of an abstract or as part of a published lecture or academic thesis), that it is not under consideration for publication elsewhere, that its publication is approved by all authors and tacitly or explicitly by the responsible authorities where the work was carried out, and that, if accepted, will not be published elsewhere in the same form, in English or in any other language, without the written consent of the Publisher. The Editors reserve the right to edit or otherwise alter all contributions, but authors will receive proofs for approval before publication.
Copyrights for articles published in International Journal of Innovative Knowledge Concepts are retained by the authors, with first publication rights granted to the journal. The journal/publisher is not responsible for subsequent uses of the work. It is the author's responsibility to bring an infringement action if so desired by the author.